Monsignor Carlos Casanueva Opazo Print
Carloscasanueva

Monsignor Carlos Casanueva Opazo

1919-1953

 

Though Archbishop Crescente Errázuriz wanted to close the University, in 1919 he assigned Father Casanueva as the interim Rector. On February 19, 1920, Father Casanueva was designated permanent Rector.
His aim was to create a university community that was open to the country. In his view, UC was meant to be a professional school to serve as a "beacon of truth", that is, it had the duty to enlighten and direct the thoughts of the people according to the needs of the country.
In 1920, the University grew and its faculties expanded to include Law and Political Science, Civil Engineering and Math, Architecture, Agriculture and Industry. In 1920, the Archbishop allowed women to form part of UC. In 1929, the state recognized the validity of the programs, the titles and the degrees conferred by UC. In 1930, the University was declared Pontifical by Pope Pius XI.  Eight years later, the Student Federation (FeUC) was created.
Under the command of Monsignor Carlos Casanueva, the University added the faculties of Technology, Theology, Business and Economic Sciences, Philosophy and Letters, and Medicine, plus the schools of Social Work, Plastic Arts, Nursing and Biological Sciences. During this time the Sports Club and the Clinical Hospital of the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile were founded. In 1942, the University’s new song was first performed at a historical soccer match in the National Stadium against Universidad de Chile.

 

Though Archbishop Crescente Errázuriz wanted to close the University, in 1919 he assigned Father Casanueva as the interim President.  On February 19, 1920, Father Casanueva was designated permanent President.

His aim was to create a university community that was open to the country.  In his view, UC should be a professional school meant to serve as a “beacon of truth”, that is, it had the duty to enlighten and direct the thoughts of the people according to the needs of the country.

In 1920, the University grew and its faculties expanded to include Law and Political Science, Civil Engineering and Math, Architecture, Agriculture and Industry.  In 1920, the Archbishop allowed women to form part of UC.  In 1929, Government recognized the validity of the programs, the titles and the degrees conferred by UC.  In 1930, the University was declared Pontifical by Pope Pius XI.  Eight years later the Student Federation (Feuc) was created.

Under the command of Monsignor Carlos Casanueva, the University added the faculties of Technology, Theology, Economics and Management Sciences, Philosophy and Literature and Linguistics, and Medicine, plus the schools of Social Work, Plastic Arts, Nursing and Biological Sciences.  During this time the Sports Club and the Clinical Hospital of the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile were founded.  In 1942, the University´s new song was first performed at a historical soccer match in the National Stadium against Universidad de Chile.